Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Festival

The first week in October, Albuquerque NM holds one of the most photographed events in the world. As an amateur photographer, this event made my mouth water like Pavlov's dog.

I arrived in Albuquerque the last weekend of the event, but I was not disappointed. I pulled up to the air field where the balloons would be launching around 330am - to my surprise, pilots were already setting up.

I had no idea what to expect. I saw eager spectators waiting to get a lift in a balloon and a plethora of photographers doing the same thing as I; however, with much better equipment.

The sun rose over the mountains in the East and the spectators piled into baskets and floated away. I thought the morning activities were over. I began to walk out of the park to take a much needed nap when I saw over a thousand balloons coming over the horizon.

The last day I decided to visit Bandelier National Monument and Santa Fe before heading back to Oklahoma City.

View all the pictures here

No comments:

Post a Comment